There’s hardly any gamer who doesn’t enjoy the thrill of online matches in first-person shooters. It’s a unique sensation to be at the top of the leaderboard for a given map as everyone else guns for you. Imagine that feeling of conquest enlarged from a tiny map to a complete planet. That’s what Sony Online Entertainment has in store for PC gamers around the world with Planetside 2. The original Planetside was a groundbreaking achievement that broke up the monotony of pressing the attack button and waiting for a monster to die in other massively multiplayer games of its time. Planetside 2 is meant to be a reimagining of the original, offering all the great features fans loved and new features that discriminating gamers demand.
“For years we’ve talked about creating another PlanetSide game, and we’re thrilled that technology has caught up with our vision,” said John Smedley, President of SOE. “I’m incredibly impressed by what our team has done with PlanetSide2. They’ve made everything as big, bold and brutal as possible. PlanetSide 2 is truly representative of what a next generation MMOFPS will look and feel like.”
“With huge war zones populated by thousands of fighters at once, the size and intensity of PlanetSide 2 are simply unequaled. Both longtime players of the series and FPS fans are going to be blown away by the massive scale of PlanetSide battles,” said Matt Higby, creative director of PlanetSide 2 at Sony Online Entertainment. “The immense scope, powerful vehicles and wealth of character customization options means players must think tactically and act as a team to conquer the battlegrounds.”
The planet Auraxis is divided into continents with warring empires seeing domination. The player enters the world and pits his or her skills against thousands of other soldiers. Players can customize their character via an extensive skill tree as well as a “free-form class system”. Customization also extends to weaponry and vehicles in order for players to meet the needs of their play-style, squad or empire. Battles promise to be gigantic and to last several days, if not weeks. So real strategy is going to be required to control territory.
The three factions consist of the following: The Terran Republic, which is a conservative nation striving for unity between the warring empires; The New Conglomerate, which is a liberated faction that fights for autonomy; and the Vanu Sovereignty, which is composed of technophiles who seek out and use alien technology. The diversity of the empires, coupled with land, sea and air combat, promise to make Planetside 2 a unique and varied experience.
- MASSIVE WARFARE: Battles will take place not between dozens of troops, but hundreds, with air and ground vehicles slugging it out alongside squads of infantry. Whether in open fields, tightly-packed urban centers or enormous structures, winning requires strategic teamwork and a quick trigger finger in the massive battles.
- THREE EMPIRES: Players will have their choice to join three different empires, including Terran Republic, New Conglomerate and Vanu Sovereignty.
- BATTLE FOR TERRITORIES & RESOURCES: The core gameplay of PlanetSide 2 is about holding territories and controlling resources. Each battleground holds valuable resources and key positions, and the empire that can conquer (and manage to hold) these territories will be rewarded with fuel bonuses, ammo bonuses, tech bonuses, and more.
- PERSISTENCE: In PlanetSide 2 battles will last longer than a match timer. Battles will last for days or weeks, and finally taking control of the base means it’s yours until someone can take it back. Working strategically as a team to capture key tactical positions such as power plants and ammo depots will have long-lasting effects that can shift the tide of battle.
- ENORMOUS MAPS: PlanetSide 2 will launch with several continent maps; every inch of which will be contestable space. With the new territorial control meta-game, landmass will have intrinsic value even without notable installations or major features.
- FREE-FORM CLASS-BASED SYSTEM: Players will be able to unlock diverse combat roles by advancing through the skill tree, including several classic roles from PlanetSide. As players unlock new roles, they can switch between them at will.
- MISSION SYSTEM: Both SOE and players will be able to drive content, easing new players into the game and allowing veterans to feed content to players.
- SKILL TREES: Players will be able to build their soldier to match their play-style, or to match the needs of their squad, outfit or empire. Each combat role, vehicle and weapon will have extensive skill trees. These “cert trees” will allow players to grow characters laterally, unlocking weapons, attachments, equipment, specialized skills, and more.
- OUTFITS: Outfits (guilds) will also be able to customize themselves – allowing outfits to have their own identity, reputation and role in the ongoing war.
- WEAPONS: Players will be able to access more than 20 basic weapons, which can be customized to players’ preference or purpose.
- VEHICLES: A total of 15 vehicles, with two unique vehicles per empire. Players will be able to customize each vehicle, unlocking new skills and features.
- VIVOX INTEGRATION: Players will be able to communicate with their squads both through keyboard and voice chat.
Planetside 2 is currently in development for the PC.